[Geysers] More Oblong series--1988 Landis Report

Ralph Taylor ralph.c.taylor at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 21:39:46 PDT 2011

I looked back at some temperature files from 1998 and 2000.  The series of
eruptions show very clearly.  I'll try to get the data better organized and
charted and post some of the graphs.  The analysis I ran some years ago
showed series of 1, 2, or 3 eruptions from 15 July to 15 September, then
longer series of up to 6 eruptions in September to the end of data in early
October of 2000.  For 67 series recorded in 2000 series intervals ranged
from 14h28m to 73h25m, and in-series intervals from the initial eruption to
the second ranged from 2h27m to 6h28m for 50 series.  The mean and median
1-2 intervals were 3h05m and 3h01m respectively.  The statistics  for the
2-3 interval (11 examples) were similar, with a range of 2h41m to 5h12m,
mean and median values of 3h13m and 3h02m respectively.

The 1998 data needs more analysis, but it looked at first glance like the
series behavior occurred late in the summer.  There is no 1999 electronic
data that I can find.  The 2001 data looks like non-series behavior with
intervals around 3 hours and occasional gaps that look like double
intervals.

Ralph Taylor