[Geysers] Auroras in YNP tonight or tomorrow?

caros at xmission.com caros at xmission.com
Wed Jun 8 19:42:34 PDT 2011

Remarkably beautiful images. The "best of 2010" video is an
astonishing blend of art and science. Who says the two don't mix?

I know we've been able to see flare-induced auroras in the Salt Lake
area if you can get away from light pollution (so when the info refers
to "higher latitudes," I guess that can include us), so I'd think
chances might be better in Yellowstone. We're just having a little
problem with cloud cover here...
Karen Webb

Quoting "Freund, Udo" <udo.freund at lmco.com>:

> NASA announced this afternoon that a solar eruption involved an M2
> (medium-sized) solar flare, an S1-class (minor) radiation storm, and
>  a spectacular coronal mass ejection (CME) from sunspot complex
> 1226-1227. After ballooning high above the Sun, the large cloud of
> matter rained back down onto an area covering almost half the solar
> disk.  There is a video @ URL
> http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/home/123377553.html
>
> The CME should deliver a glancing blow to Earth's magnetic field
> during the late hours of June 8th or 9th. High-latitude skywatchers
> should be alert for auroras when the CME arrives.
>
> Will auroras be visible from Yellowstone?  Let us know, please, if
> you see them.
>
> Thanks,
> Udo Freund
> "Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just
> sit there."
> --Will Rogers

Fantasy with heart, mind, and soul!
Adventurers of the Carotian Union
Book 1: The Chalice of Life
Book 2: Tapestry of Enchantment (out now)
Book 3: Lamp of Truth (due spring 2011)
Book 4: The Life of the Smith (due fall 2011)
Published by Dragon Moon Press; available via publisher, through
Amazon, or from
your favorite local bookseller or library (we distribute through Ingrams's)
carotianunion.com for sneak peaks of the first two books

Free the Tehran 7
http://iran.bahai.us