[Geysers] Geyser report 6/7

Lynn Stephens lstephens2006 at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 7 19:44:16 PDT 2011

THIS REPORT IS FOR THE PERSONAL USE OF THE READERS OF THIS LISTSERV AND IS NOT TO BE REPRODUCED FOR ANY OTHER PURPOSE, INCLUDING PUBLICATION IN THE SPUT.

Despite the cooler temperatures and rain/snow, I went into the Park today.  The meadow at Biscuit Basin was a lake this morning.  Maureen said it looked like it might breach the road like it did last spring.  This evening the Gibbon had turned the meadow to the east of the bridge into a lake and at 7 Mile Bridge the lake was so extensive that you couldn't tell where the Madison River was.

Fountain Complex--Fountain was 1135ns and 1815 this evening.  Twig seems to start with every other Fountain.

Great Fountain--the battery on the VEC electronic monitor is low so there was no overnight time.  This afternoon's time was 15:29.  Thanks to Maureen for start of overflow, which totaled 94 minutes.  Still no superburst.

Pink Cone Group:  Pink Cone had about a 23 1/2 hour interval.  Road bubblers started about 20 3/4 hours after the prior eruption.  I had an eruption of Pink at 1342, with a duration of 3m45s.  Pink made a serious attempt to erupt at 17:55, but didn't succeed.  KC and Julie stayed at Pink Cone and got the start of the next Pink eruption at 1826, an interval of 4h44m.

I made a trip to the Upper Basin this morning.  Spent an hour timing Little Brother.  Most of the intervals were under 1 minute, but I had a couple intervals of 3 minutes and one interval of 9 minutes.

While I was timing Little Brother, I saw Grand's water go up.  I don't think Barbara came in today; Bill Warnock told me he was staying home due to the weather; Jim headed home about 9:30; KC and Julie were in the Inn; Julie's brother Mike and his daughter MIchelle had taken a road trip; Maureen hadn't come in yet for Fountain; and I didn't see the Bailey's or their truck.  (I think that accounts for all the gazers in the Park at the moment.)  So I ended up reporting the Grand eruption 09:44ie.  I didn't try to see how many bursts it had.

Other news:  Mike reported West Thumb Geyser Basin was closed to entry because the cow elk are calving and charging visitors.

Joanne Kearney had to be transported to Idaho Falls for a medical situation.  Tom is on his way here; in the meantime, people are waiting news of her condition.  Best wishes for a quick recovery Joanne.

Weather is supposed to continue cool and rainy tomorrow.

Lynn