[Geysers] Geyser Report 6/4

Lynn Stephens lstephens2006 at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 4 20:52:03 PDT 2011

THIS POST IS FOR THE PERSONAL USE OF THE READERS OF THIS LISTSERV AND IS NOT TO BE USED FOR ANY OTHER PURPOSE, INCLUDING PUBLICATION IN THE SPUT.

I managed to squeeze in three hours sleep last night.  Hopefully I can increase that tonight.

Fountain stayed on 6 hour ~30 minute duration mode today.  I waited 6 minutes for Fountain this morning at 05:32, duration 34 minutes.  Interesting aspect of this eruption was that Jet didn't start until Fountain had been erupting for 28 minutes, and had only two minor eruptions at the end of Fountain's eruption.  Clepsydra and Fountain sent up huge steam clouds that were colored pink by the morning sun.  Next Fountain started at 11:52 while we were at Great Fountain.  I didn't go over for it, but think someone said the duration was about 30 minutes.  This afternoon's Fountain eruption was at 18:23, duration 31 minutes.  Spasm started two minutes after Fountain started, and the duration was only about 4 minutes before Fountain's runoff cooled if off enough such that it stopped eruption.  Twig started with both the 5:32 and 18:23 eruptions of Fountain.  I don't know whether it started with the 11:52 Fountain.

Great Fountain erupted at 11:16, an interval of 12h09m, bringing the mean to 13h17m.  Thanks to Maureen for getting the start of overflow and driving to the Upper Basin to alert all of us.  (There was a rare Lynn sighting in the Upper Basin this morning.  I had hoped to get Penta, Churn, Grand, and Beehive.  I did see Penta with rainbows and glories; yelled at everyone to get their attention to see an eruption of Churn; traipsed back and forth between Grand and Sawmill between Turban's checking Beehive's Indicator until finally I saw the Indicator ie, then managed to arrive on Geyser Hill with plenty of time to watch a beautiful Beehive--no wind, tall, fantastic curtain, etc.  Didn't get Grand though since it erupted three minutes after Beehive started.)  I did not make a loop through Firehole Lake Drive this evening because I was afraid if I saw Great Fountain in overflow it would be another 3 hours of sleep night.  The eruption this morning was strong enough that I wasn't expecting Great Fountain until after midnight.

Pink Cone was nice to Maureen and me this evening.  I had been sitting over there this afternoon, hoping to get one data point on when the road bubbler starts after the preceding eruption.  It still hadn't started at 16:45, when I left to go to Fountain.  When Maureen and I returned at 19:13, the road bubbler was flowing.  A minute later Pink Cone started surging, and erupted at 19:15, an interval of 21h38m.  I did not stay to get a duration, close a Labial interval, etc.

Pink interval today of about 6h 5 to 10 minutes from a Pink eruption with a duration of 7m30s to an ie sighting, unknown duration.

Till--Yesterday (6/3) I had a double interval that averaged 9h21m, then a closed interval of 8h51m.  Today I had a double interval that averaged 9h06m.

Wildlife sighting--In addition to mountain bluebirds, osprey, sandhill cranes, great blue heron, swallows nesting in the bobby sox trees at Fountain Paint Pots, robins, ravens, etc., I saw a Western Tanager at Fountain Paint Pots today.

Lynn