[Geysers] Report 6/3/2011

Lynn Stephens lstephens2006 at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 3 23:40:12 PDT 2011

THIS POST IS FOR THE PERSONAL USE OF THE READERS OF THIS LISTSERV AND IS NOT TO BE REPRODUCED FOR ANY OTHER PURPOSE, INCLUDING PUBLICATION IN THE SPUT.

I started the day in the lower basin at 05:00 and ended it at 23:20, so this report will be short.

Fountain went back to 30 minute durations, 6 hour intervals today.  05:15ns end 05:45, missed the next eruption, then 17:53 d=30 per Maureen.

Great Fountain, on the other hand, went long.  I missed the start of overflow because I went over to watch Fountain this morning.  Great Fountain erupted at 06:53, p = 7.  Electronic time was 0703, I think (I forgot to write it down when Maureen told me).  OFVEC is using 11 hours +/- 2 for the prediction.  The morning ranger erased the 6/1/2011 prediction, but left the board blank.  The afternoon ranger also left the board blank, which was probably a good thing.  I knew this morning's eruption had been a long, strong eruption.  Sure enough, it went out over 16 hours, finally erupting at 23:07, p = 5.  (I missed the start of overflow this evening also because I wanted to be at Pink Cone for the start.  Overflow > 97 minutes.)  Mean for all intervals since the road opened = 13h23m; median for the 8 closed intervals I have = 12h46m.

Pink Cone--I was on my way back to West this evening when I passed Pink Cone at 19:00 and realized the road bubbler was active.  So I waited, and waited, and waited.  Pink Cone erupted at 21:37.  The first four days the road was open, Pink Cone erupted between about 06:00 and 07:00.  Then I kept recording, "finished by" for the next three mornings (6/1, 6/2, and 6/3).  This evening's eruption gave an average interval of about 17 1/4 hours over the four intervals.

Off and on snow squalls this morning.  Wind this morning and afternoon.  Weather turned nice this afternoon, and even better this evening when the wind finally stopped.

I saw a grizzly sow with a cub at the entrance to Firehole Lake Drive this morning.

Lynn