[Geysers] 21 and 22 July 2011

Mary Beth Schwarz schwarzmb at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 17:02:06 PDT 2011

21  July 2011:

     Fountain  2006 (d=31m)

22  July  2011:

     Artemisia  0926ie

     Beehive  0444  (Beehive's Indicator  0428)

     Bulger 0939  major (end 0947)

     Bulger's hole  0943 (end 0947)  h~6', d~4m, drained slowly and slurped
at ~094945

     Castle  0622

     Churn  1048,  1116

     Daisy  0520ie,  0755,  1029,  1302

     Depression  0705ie

     Fountain  0734ie

     Grand  0112(T1Q),  1130(T1Q)  d=11m 3s

     Great Fountain  0610 very late in the eruption

     Grotto  0512ie

     Little Squirt  0712ie

     Oblong  0531ie,  0856ns

     Plume  0642ie,  0737ie,  0834ie,  0926ie,  1115ie,  1207,  1302

     Riverside  0634ns,  1221

     Rocket  0713

     Sawmill  0622

     Sputnik  0802 series ie ...(every few minutes through 0956)

     While waiting several hours for the morning Grand, we needed
amusements.  Luckily Bulger had a major just after Turban started and Grand
did not, so gazers moved to Bulger to watch for an eruption of Bulger's
hole.  Water rose in the hole at 0941 and boiled then dropped.  At  0943 the
water rose again and boiled more vigorously.  Then Bulger's hole erupted.
The water became milky and it threw rocks.  The duration was nearly 4
minutes.  The eruption ended and water drained slow about 2 minutes and we
were treated to a sucking sound on the drain, similar to our old friend Tilt
but without the whine of the whirlpool.

     With another Bulger major the water rose, but there was no eruption.
We did get another slurp as it drained though!

     Just as we returned to the Lower Store parking lot after getting the
Turban and Vent restart, Polly called the start of an event cycle with Main
Vent splashing at 1203 at Fan and Mortar, so we packed up again and headed
there but F&M did not erupt.

               Mary Beth Schwarz