[Geysers] Long-term periodicities at Steamboat (& elsewhere)?

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Mon Jan 3 10:14:41 PST 2011

Two interesting (?) points about the Steamboat periodicity, beyond the fact
 that it certainly appears to be real and startlingly regular:

1. It should be noted that while the temperature drop is relatively sudden,
 the recovery of temperature is much more gradual, taking the better part
of a  day,  making it apparent that this is not some simple on-off event. It
would be really  interesting to know if there is any sort of chemical change
(such as  sulfate-chloride) involved. (I really like the idea of a
deep-seated cyclic  process and, sorry, but cannot help but think of the "Geyser
Hill  Wave.")

2. Though it most likely is coincidental, there appears to be a somewhat
similar cyclic temperature change at Opalescent Spring, another feature that
is  chloride-rich and so presumably with water of deeper origin (as is,
presumably,  Steamboat).

Scott Bryan