[Geysers] Long-term periodicities at Steamboat (& elsewhere)?

David Schwarz david.schwarz at alumni.rice.edu
Sun Jan 2 19:02:15 PST 2011

   It'd be interesting to see if anything else in the basin follows a
similar periodicity, but on the other hand...

   Is there any reason to think this is anything other than a
protracted, self-limiting eruptive series, like a long-mode eruption
of Grotto or a Lion series?  It looks like it has pretty consistent
discharge from minor eruptions for three or four days, then abruptly
shuts down for a day or so.  Is any process beyond eruption/recharge
necessary to explain it?

   Semi-related, was any cycle like this observed in the 1982-1984
activity?  Was there ever a sort of window of safety after a
particularly powerful minor eruption, for instance?  I think I
remember reading that during at least one year, there were basin-wide
mini-disturbances every few days (initiated by extremely long,
powerful eruptions of Echinus) that shut it off?

David Schwarz