[Geysers] Long-term periodicities at Steamboat (& elsewhere)?

Paul Strasser upperbasin at comcast.net
Sun Jan 2 18:51:46 PST 2011

What's so interesting about the Steamboat temp log is that it is almost a
reverse hot period, a "cold period" if you will.

At Giant (at least when it was having hot periods!) temperatures would rise
in Mastiff and Giant in the minute(s) prior to the 'official' start of the
hot period, which was "Feather is on."  At Steamboat the periodicity is a
reduction in the temperature rather than an increase.  It's obviously not
diurnal so one would think it is a real phenomena.

There is no data correlating majors with this periodicity.  One would think
that the chances of a major during the 'cold periods' was less than the rest
of the time.  Because the water where these temps are taken is derived
solely from minor activity in the South Vent that flows downhill from the
vent, and the probe is located a distance from the vent, one might surmise
that this may not be due to an actual temperature reduction within the
near-surface water in Steamboat's plumbing but simply to a reduction in the
vigor (and hence discharge) of the minor play.

But it is periodic.

I would be curious to see if there is a temp change at Emerald that
correlates to this periodicity.  In the 80s, notably 1984, Emerald and
Steamboat were both affected by small back-basin disturbances, so it might
be interesting to see if there is any discernable temp/discharge
correlation.

Paul Strasser