[Geysers] New Zealand

Ron Keam r.keam at auckland.ac.nz
Thu Feb 24 13:31:58 PST 2011

Thank you for your concern about New Zealand friends.  The recent
deadly earthquake had magnitude 6.3, considerably less energetic than
the one of September last which had magnitude 7.1.  The problem is
that the epicentre this time was much shallower and very close to
Christchurch, indeed lying directly beneath Lyttelton a few
kilometres to the south-south east.  While Christchurch has been very
badly damaged the effects would have been felt strongly for perhaps
only a few tens of kilometres
from the epicentre, and certainly would have had no percerptible
effects in the central volcanic region several hundreds of kilometres
to the north.

Thanks again for your enquiry;
Ron Keam

--