[Geysers] Fan & Mortar

Pat Snyder riozafiro at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 05:44:16 PST 2011

A big thank you to everyone for putting into excellent words why I spend days of my vacation seeing Riverside and Grotto and not much else (well, the occasional Rocket Major)--and why I geyser gaze in general.

Thank you, too, Tara, Paul, Michael, Scott, etc. for posting all the interesting data about Fan & Mortar, helping folks catch it again, as well as providing a fascinating history of this gorgeous and powerful geyser. I also enjoyed Scott's photos showing a very different Mortar from how it looks today (compared to Tara's beautiful shot of the current Mortar Geyser). Since I have only been gazing 11 years, I was quite surprised at the changes! Another reason to keep records, including visual ones.

And, one final reason why some of us do this, it's the awesome geyser gazer community. Where else would you find friends who are willing to huddle with you at the F&M picnic table during a nasty storm because F&M is overdue and the next event cycle could start at any time?

Happy Holidays to all, may your favorite geysers erupt for you in the New Year. Let's hope Fan & Mortar's break  is short.
Pat Snyder