[Geysers] August SPUT and more

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Wed Aug 24 16:53:15 PDT 2011

I always like to let Udo know... so the August 2011 SPUT arrived in
southern Arizona today. Temperature only 106 today. But no earthquakes. No
hurricanes.

I found the Garmin map (page 9 of The SPUT) especially enjoyable. Might it
actually have been included in this issue as a joke? I mean, really... I've
 long known about the Narcissus Geyser along that loop road, but I never
knew  there was also one near the Quagmire Group. I also didn't know that
Firehole  Lake was under/over the highway at the exit of that loop road. Or that
that road  is U S Highway 191. Or that Bellefontaine Geyser is high on the
hill northwest  of the (misnamed) Fountain Patrol Cabin. Or that Black
Warrior  Springs... Interesting, these GPS maps. (Note tongue-in-cheek. Note also
 that it is errors of this sort that have actually led to several deaths in
Death  Valley National Park, and which now have the NPS there working with
Garmin, etc.  to remove the park's backcountry roads from their GPS devices.)

--------
Now that I had an excuse to write to the list, and now that I have your
attention... Many of you know that one reason for my absence from Yellowstone
in  2011 is this book I've been working on, under contract to Mountain
Press. For  all intents, the text of Arizona Rocks! is done (still need some
photo  trips to get the book finished, though).

I wonder if any of you would be willing to serve as readers. The whole
thing is 124 pages, but many of those pages have only a few lines on them. All
illustrations are noted in the text but none of the illustrations are
actually there (being high-res photos, Illustrator maps, and such, they would
make for a huge file).

The text has already passed geological muster with a number of  people,
including the Senior Geologist with the Arizona Geological Survey, a  retired
college professor, and other geologists. A number of NPS folks have  read and
approved their individual "chapters," too.

Therefore, what I would be interested in receiving now is any comments  on
the read-ability; that is, how it reads to the "general public."

If willing, I'd send the PDF (approx 450KB) to around the first 10 (if I
get that many) people who send me their e-mail address off-list. And I would
request that your replies get back to me within a week or two at the most
(let  me know if you can).

Thanks!

Scott Bryan
_TSBryan at aol.com_ (mailto:TSBryan at aol.com)