[Geysers] White Dome

sgryc at comcast.net sgryc at comcast.net
Wed Aug 24 05:46:14 PDT 2011

Dear All,

In June I managed a twelve-hour bun-busting White Dome sit and recorded interesting data which would indicate that White Dome has both normal and long intervals (i.e. there is a big gap between the length of the normal intervals and the longer intervals). Twelve continuous observation still isn't a very large sample (19 eruptions), so if anyone else has closed intervals for White Dome this summer I would appreciate having your data. Maybe my observations plus yours might add up to a short Sput article.

There may be a problem in that most geyser gazers, expecting an interval around thirty minutes, would get discouraged after 45 minutes or an hour and just give up on White Dome and leave before the long interval of around 80 minutes has elapsed. So long intervals might be under-represented in a random sample recorded by gazers. Long intervals seem to be less common than normal intervals, but they are not rare as per my experience.

Thanks,
Steve Gryc