[Geysers] F&M - What's a "Lock"?

JEFFREY CROSS jeff.cross at utah.edu
Fri Aug 19 22:09:32 PDT 2011

The first definition of "lock" that I heard was in 1990, given to me by Jens Day.

He noted that during most hot periods, High, Gold and Angle seem to quarrel over the water supply.  When water surges from one vent, the play wanes in the other vents.

During a lock, the vents all surge in unison, as if boiling has progressed downward to a point below the place where the tubes join.  This makes sense if the major eruption is preceded by a sudden upwelling of very hot water from deep within the system.

Jeff Cross
jeff.cross at utah.edu