[Geysers] Great Fountain 8/14; Kaleidoscope

caros at xmission.com caros at xmission.com
Mon Aug 15 15:22:30 PDT 2011

We were hoping to catch Fountain and/or Great Fountain on Sunday
before we headed home and I know at least Maureen was out there
waiting for GF to overflow. Did get the good-thing-we-didn't-wait time
for Fountain from Marty Beth but wondered if anyone had info on GF's
activity that day, as the visitor's center was again mum and en route
to Fountain it looked like it was almost at the midpoint between
eruptions.

For the sake of interest, the feature I inquired about in the
Kaleidoscope group earlier in the year did start acting like
Kaleidoscope again. Pool was full, very slightly siliceous blue
(really bluer than most of Deep Blue, which has flooded over the edge
of its shallow side) but not the murkier clay color I saw in July. The
pool itself did not have the abrupt edge on the back left that I noted
earlier. It did have a nice little cone feature on the near right
shoulder, active about every 8 minutes for about 2 minutes (definitely
a cone shape; guess on the top water droplets of the best bursts was
about 20 feet). The thing I haven't seen before is that when we got
what definitely seemed to be Kaleidoscope (a whopping series of 2) it
appeared to be erupting from the near *left* corner of the pool, and
the eruptions did not start until the pool itself began to empty.
Again, this is the first summer I've had binoculars with me and seen
this much detail. We were also getting what looked like a series of
Honeycomb (water bubbling from the center of the broad basin rather
than where I thought Honey's Vent was). We only got to see 3, but each
was larger and longer than the last. Wondered if this also represented
a change.

And you can all blame us for cursing F&M to middle of the night eruptions...
Karen Webb

Fantasy with heart, mind, and soul!
Adventurers of the Carotian Union
Book 1: The Chalice of Life
Book 2: Tapestry of Enchantment (out now)
Book 3: Lamp of Truth (due spring 2011)
Book 4: The Life of the Smith (due fall 2011)
Published by Dragon Moon Press; available via publisher, through
Amazon, or from
your favorite local bookseller or library (we distribute through Ingrams's)
carotianunion.com for sneak peaks of the first two books

Free the Tehran 7
http://iran.bahai.us