[Geysers] Trip report, odds and ends

Stephen Eide stepheneide at cableone.net
Thu Apr 28 11:28:57 PDT 2011

Greetings,

Here is the last bit from my trip report April 16-24 2011.  When I arrived
in the park the river levels were very low, but with the next two days of
warm weather the river rose to about a normal level, not anywhere near
spring flood state yet.  You could start seeing well at about 0600 and it
became dark at about 2030 I think.  The snow level in the upper basin where
there were no drifts and no thermal ground appeared to be about 4-5 feet on
the 16th but only about three feet on the 24th when I left.  Almost all the
boardwalks had at least enough space to walk by without climbing on the
snow, sometimes just single file but easily walkable.  The only exceptions
in the upper basin were the boardwalk from Tardy to Lion, the boardwalk from
Beauty Pool to Grotto, and Grotto to Morning Glory.  If the weather stays
the same I expect these will clear off at least partly in the next two
weeks.

In the upper basin there is already a mating pair of Osprey.  Bald Eagles
were seen about every third day.  A pair of Sandhill Cranes were in the
Basic about every other day.  Mountain Bluebirds were rare but they are
already in the basin.  There are still a few swans near the seven mile
bridge.  I saw one mink (I think) on the way in in Island Park.  I saw no
eagles on the nest below seven mile bridge or at the Madison site but I only
looked quickly as I drove pass.

There are two Grizzly Bears in the upper basin, a young one and an older
one.  They are most often seen in the fields by the freeway interchange but
both showed up on the main hill at least once during he week.  I only saw
the young bear, I was in the Sawmill group waiting for Penta or Churn and
kicking snow off the intersection at Sawmill when I looked up and saw the
bear standing by Bulgar Geyser.  I think he was about as surprised as me, I
went to the Castle bridge and he went up into the trees north of Spasmodic.
A few minutes later he showed up on Geyser Hill.  So far they have not been
aggressive or intrusive but when I left they were still in the area.

The Bison look thin.  Once you look past the thick winter coat you see you
can count the ribs and the hip bones stand out clearly.  The road slowdowns
for Bison are frequent, they tend to travel on the road from grass patch to
grass patch instead of walking through the snow.  And they do not walk fast
unless it is absolutely required.  I saw the first baby bison on 4-20-11
with the mother still trailing the afterbirth.  Also on 4-22-11 a newborn
calf died by the freeway interchange, I think it froze or just passed
overnight.  Mom stayed with it for a day, but on the 23 it and Mom were
gone.  The Elk look scruffy but appear to be in better shape than the Bison.

The plowed snow in the area has caused some stops to be dangerous, you
cannot see over the snow wall to see oncoming traffic.  I hope with melting
this will improve soon.  The Fountain parking lot was only about 1/3 plowed,
only part of the entrance was plowed (only the out lanes) and there is no
room in the lot for a tour bust to stop.  Even with the low spring traffic
it is causing problems in the parking lot, Traffic jams are happening and
everything may plug up if a bus arrives.  The parking area at Gibbon Falls
is not plowed, there is no safe way to see Gibbon Falls.  The upper loop
road at Mammoth is still closed, Maybe they are waiting for the snow to melt
instead of plowing it because in the last few years when they plowed it they
did some damage to some of the thermal features like Orange Spring.  Just a
guess.

I did not get to Canyon, but one of the staff there said the snow level
there was about six feet and the Bison wee in even worse shape.

Very few restaurants in West Yellowstone were open and almost none after
eight o'clock.  That should improve soon.  Off season room rates were in the
50-70 dollars a night range in West Yellowstone.  I did not know it until
mid-week but opening week the park was free, no entrance fee.

Stephen Eide