[Geysers] Trip report Fountain

Stephen Eide stepheneide at cableone.net
Wed Apr 27 13:37:50 PDT 2011

Greetings,

For the trip report April 16-24 2011 I did not make it out to Fountain as
often as I wanted.  However it was very regular with a few glitches.  It
appears to be much like last year and stable on a 6 hour interval plus or
minus one hour.  Most of the late morning eruptions were between 1100 and
1200 all week.  The one possible odd day was Friday to Saturday, on
Friday it erupted at 1252 and 1838 but on Saturday it was seen ie at 1108
and off at 1130.  So it either did  three shorts with an average of 5.5
hours (possible) or two longs with an average of 8.25 hour (not as likely,
but possible).  Jet and Super Frying Pan still appear to be trading the
energy with Jet erupting every 6-10 minutes until Super Frying Pan erupts
and that will usually shut Jet off.  If enough time passes without Super
Frying Pan Jet will restart or of course if Fountain erupts Jet will
restart.  Super Frying Pan does appear to have a bit more run off and has
washed away some gravel to reveal an old sinter sheet that is light tan
instead of the silver-gray of the new sheets.  Bearclaw was erupting to 1-2
inches, the first time I have seen it above ground for a few years.  Twig
would join Fountain on some eruptions, but only some of them.  Spasm was the
same, it will sometimes start minutes to over an hour before Fountain but
not on all eruptions.  I did see Clepsydra shut off once after Fountain but
usually I did not wait for it, the Fountain area was too windy and it was
usually cold.  Jelly was low and clear.  Sub Geyser only rarely showed light
steaming.  The hole behind the bench by Spasm that showed up last year is
being filled in by gravel from the run off from Super Frying Pan.  Water
used to drain quickly from this hole, but now it can sit in the hole for
hours before it drains.

Nothing was seen from Old Cone.  The mud pots have good activity.  The
center pool is a bit wet but the side mud volcanoes are more active and
sometimes throw mud up to 6-8 feet high.  Silex Spring is normal and clear.
Celestine Pool had a couple of 3-4 foot boils for me as i walked past.

Unfortunately due to the steam from Clepsydra and the wind direction I saw
very little in the Sprinkler or Kaleidoscope groups.  I did see Angle or the
latest reincarnation of Angle and I think I caught Impatient Miser Geyser.
I know I saw Honey's Vent but that is all.

Stephen Eide