[Geysers] Dead rodents on photographic paper

Powell, Richard L rlpowell at indiana.edu
Thu Apr 7 08:40:57 PDT 2011

The reported exposure of photographic paper by placing a dead rodent on it
needs more explanation, e.g. was the critter still juicy enough to
chemically alter the paper regardless of the presence of radium.
Radiation poisoning from exposure to radon, particularly from "radon
daughters" is rare in open landscapes, but deadly to uranium miners,
paricularly smokers, and to some extent a cause of lung cancers in coal
miners, as well as unknown consequences of exposure to spelunkers in
some areas.

I would contend that silicosis from inhaling steam vapor a greater
threat   than radiation poisoning in Yellowstone N. P. But I would not
consider
silicosis from geyser steam a reasonable concern.

Dick Powell
Certified radion technician circa 1978