[Geysers] Excelsior & GPS

Ron Keam r.keam at auckland.ac.nz
Wed Sep 29 20:33:25 PDT 2010

A contrast with two New Zealand examples of high discharge thermal
springs might be of interest:

When Waimangu Geyser was active (1900 - 1904) the water in its basin,
between eruptions, would have stood about 9 metres below the level of
neighbouring Inferno Crater lakelet.  In that era Inferno Crater
lakelet overflowed for most of the time, but it used to recede
gradually perhaps ten centimetres some time after the geyser
commenced playing.  The geyser's active interval would generally last
for several hours, and its period was about 30 hours.  A few hours
after the geyser ceased playing Inferno Crater lakelet would
recommence discharging and continue to do so until after the next
eruption commenced.  The horizontal separation between the site of
the vent of Waimangu Geyser and the main vent in Inferno Crater is
about 100 metres.

In recent decades it has been shown that Frying Pan Lake in
neighbouring Echo Crater at Waimangu has a fluctuating outflow that
is time-correlated with fluctuations in Inferno Crater lakelet level.
Unlike when the geyser was active, the recessions in the lakelet are
now usually to a depth of between 5 and 7 metres below outflow level,
and the whole cycle takes around six weeks. The discharge from Frying
Pan Lake is greater than average when water level in Inferno Crater
is falling, and lower than average  when there are discharges
occurring from Inferno Crater. The horizontal separation between the
main vent of Frying Pan Lake and the main vent of Inferno Cfrater
lakelet is about 400 metres.

Ron Keam

--

Ron Keam