[Geysers] More September 11

tsbryan at aol.com tsbryan at aol.com
Sat Sep 11 18:19:36 PDT 2010

A few more items from after Jim's departure today

I must note that the 0628ie Great Fountain was seen by me, but I infer the superburst from a wet stretch of the road -- I, of course, did not witness it.

After the long intervals of yesterday (that from midnight to actually 1730 (not 1630) was 17 1/2 hours, followed by very roughly 12 1/2 hours. But today's next eruption was at 1509 (P=8), an interval of only about 9 hours.

Pink Cone... well, the other day I said it would be a long time until it was again a daylight geyser. Wrong, maybe. Yesterday it was completely finished as of 0630. But today it was in eruption at 0629 (steam seen from Great Fountain), and on-site observation indicated that it still had a good 20+ minutes of eruption left in it. And this implies an itnerval well longer than 24 (maybe even 25) hours.

This afternoon, Beehive's Indicator had an interval of 4h 26m, much longer than "normal." Then that eruption (no Beehive) lasted "only" about 54 minutes. Hmmm.

Fountain has confounded even Maureen, by having a series of intervals of about 5 hours only. today 0958ns and 1500.

"Filial" Geyser, up White Creek, gave me a series of intervals between 3 1/2 and 6 minutes, all eruptions (the "majors" in which the crater briefly drained) being between 12 and 23 seconds long.