EXTERNAL: Re: [Geysers] New Zealand

Freund, Udo udo.freund at lmco.com
Tue Sep 7 09:05:31 PDT 2010

Interestingly the NZ quake is very similar to the one in Haiti last year.  Both were strike-slip, relatively shallow, nearly the same magnitude and near a major population center.  There were huge differences in effects to the populace, though.  Thankfully very few were hurt this time due to enforced building codes and the time of day, when most were asleep.  Thanks for the post, Ron.  Hopefully your friends will recover soon.  The shake map (Did you feel it?") link below shows little was felt on the North Island where the geysers are.
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/dyfi/events/us/2010atbj/us/index.html

Thanks,
Udo Freund
"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there."
--Will Rogers