[Geysers] Geyser report from the basin Mon 5-17-2010

Barbara Lasseter barbara.lasseter at gmail.com
Mon May 17 15:18:21 PDT 2010

Temps on the car thermometer read 28 degrees on the way in at 0645,
and 67 degrees on the way back to West Yellowstone about 1345.  The
morning warmed up quickly.

Daily I see a trumpeter swan on the Madison just W of the eagles nest.
 Hopefully there is a mate on a nest nearby.

Friday we observed the (unnamed?, Solstice?, Unfaithful?) falls behind
Biscuit basin as a thin white line.  I was not able to detect it
today.  Biscuit remains closed at the loop road for boardwalk
replacement.

A black suv? station wagon? was observed driving back toward the lower
store from the direction of Castle on the bike path shortly before
11AM--someone may have been trialing their own accessibility plan for
the OF area?  They were intercepted by park staff on bicycle and then
met by enforcement.

Geysers seen, reported or heard over the radio:

Plume: 0544, 0745, 0846, 0951, 1043
Old Faithful: 0558, 0731ie, 0910?, 1042
Lion: 0528 (reported as long duration), 0635, 0740 (d=4min), 0851, 0956, 1110
Little cub was ie at 0753, 0918, 1024, 1045, 1130
Depression had a big surge about 0758, but did not erupt til 0855
Aurum: 1106
Castle: 0024e - 6 min minor, 0926 major
Grand: 0655
Oblong: 0812ie
Riverside:  radio caller reported last night's eruption as 2028,  was 805 today
Daisy: 0644, 0810
Grotto was ie at 0541
Little squirt was ie at 0714 and was off by 0735
Beehive: 0634  indicator: 0631ie
N dwarf had company from 2 adjacent features this AM
Tardy was ie at 0851 and also at 1120, at which time spasmodic
drained, along with the small pool at Penta
Fountain: 0600vr, 1213 d=30min

>From fountain, I continued out of the park.  Note that some of the
radio calls may have been off by a minute or so, in comparison to
atomic time of other watches.

Barbara Lasseter