[Geysers] Old Faithful scoping document

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Sun May 9 16:40:42 PDT 2010

The Curmudgeon here. I certainly will submit comments to the "Old Faithful
Area Comprehensive Plan" stuff. But here a few items for your thoughts,
keyed to  the pages of the 4-page "Public Scoping Newsletter May 2010". I
provide these  thoughts, in part, knowing that some NPS people see this listserv.

Page 1--
-- In the "Dear Friends" column, was it really necessary to cite on five
different occasions some form of "resources"? Talk about overkill.
-- And really, have these "resources" ... "provided... human... inspiration
 for THOUSANDS of years." I mean, really, thousands?
-- In the second column, can we please have a definition of just what
comprises the "Old Faithful developed area" within the context of this document?
 That is, how far does it extend; does it include the boardwalk areas; does
it  extend as far as Biscuit Basin; or might it end just below the "lower
store"?

Page 2--
Under "Why is this Action Needed?"
-- Item #1: I didn't know hydrothermal features could "effect" nearby
buildings. But maybe the silica on the Lodge windows qualifies as an  "effect"
(?).
-- Item #2: Good lord. How many times has this topic been addressed by the
National Park Service? It should have been addressed in the 1960s, before
the  existing road alignments were put in. Now that they are in, and now that
the  entire area is constructed predicated on the existing alignments, what
could  happen? I mean, really!
-- Item #3: They have to wait a whole 90 minutes? Oh, golly gee. Could they
 possibly go look at something else? Oh, yeah; there's a gift shop over
there.  And is it SO far from the parking lot. [Don't kowtow to the
out-of-shape  American public, NPS.]

Under "Resources & Concerns"
-- Public health and safety" -- This scares me. More railings in the geyser
 basins; boardwalk removal?

Page 3--
Under "Visitor Use"
-- "Provide the visitor with opportunities"....: As if these opportunities
don't exist now?
-- "Increase visitor understanding...": Gosh, was I wrong in thinking that
a big, new (overpriced) multimillion dollar "Visitor Education Center" was
to  open to the public in this very calendar year? Did they not plan to use
it to  help visitors understand the area? Why not? Is there in this item an
admission  of NPS interpretive failure?
-- "Improve vehicle and pedestrian circulation and parking": See page 2,
item 2, above. Folks, unless you plan to do a LOT of MAJOR construction and
reconstruction, you are many years past correcting this ridiculous
situation...  a correction that I'm certain would involve cutting [gasp] some trees.

Under "Public Health & Safety"
-- "Address needs of visitors exposed to open and hot conditions and long
distances": Well, as with page 2, item 3, above... Maybe this is when they
install a shuttle system, complete with refreshment stands at
Castle,  Grotto, and Morning Glory...? Aw, c'mon dammit; this is a national
park,  and it should be a natural, outdoor area complete with all
environmental consequences.

Under Resources
-- "Protect... The fragile and dynamic hydrothermal Upper Geyser Basin":
I'm scared, again.

Page 4
"Do you have other ideas......": You bet, but I'll only mention one here:
Whittlesey might comment on this, and I'm pretty sure M. A. Bellingham did
so a  year or two or three ago...The trees in the parking lot below the Old
Faithful  Inn, which almost completely impede the view from the Inn (even the
from  balcony) into the geyser basin do not belong there. These trees are
not natural,  right? What is the justification for allowing them to remain,
especially if this  whole process is designed (page 1) "to enhance the
visitor experience at the Old  Faithful area." Let them see the view that was
afforded the visitors of a  century ago. See attached photo dated 1912.

OK, I'll shut up.