[Geysers] Union Geyser Refilling Rate

Demetri Stoumbos stoumbosd at go.oes.edu
Mon Mar 22 21:39:02 PDT 2010

Just some thoughts on refilling in geysers.  Just because Union's refill
rate is .7 in/hr at the surface doesn't necessarily mean that  that is the
constant rate.  I have found in all my geyser models (not using the
conventional method of recycling the water) that refill rate is much faster
just after an eruption, and slows down greatly as the water level nears
overflow.

If my models accurately depict what is going on inside a geyser, then
Union's average refill rate could be much higher, and that of Old Faithful
could be considerably lower nearer to the surface.  In my opinion, measuring
of how much water ejected during a Union eruption and dividing by the refill
time would probably yield better results for average refill rate.

Something to think about, though I really didn't answer your question ><

Demetri Stoumbos

PS to Jeff: I don't know if you've tested your proposed geometries from your
article "Changes in the Minor Activity of Geysers Prior to a Major
Eruption", but I tested the Grand/Turban design for my high school science
project and found that it roughly mimicked the relationship between Grand
and Turban, even having Grand erupt in 2-4 bursts.