[Geysers] geyser report 03/12/ Tad's last trip

Seeyellowstone at aol.com Seeyellowstone at aol.com
Sat Mar 13 05:48:46 PST 2010

Finally, they are letting us drive in on wheels (without even plowing),
after a week of driving on 20 miles of pavement one way to Old Faithful on
rubber track snowcoaches.  This year has one of the lowest snowpacks I have
ever seen.  There is only a couple of feet of snow on top of Craig Pass and
Sylvan Pass, and less just about every where else.  The snowpack looks like
late May early June in the OF/ West Yellowstone areas.  I would be
surprised if there is any snow on the ground come opening day in April, unless  it
starts snowing.

Today was a very emotional trip.  One of my good friends, Greg  Bonemeyer's
sister, Mary or "Tad" who many of you may know, has been  given only a few
weeks to live.  Mary Patten (Bonemeyer), known as Tad or  Tadpole worked at
the Ham stores in Old Faithful & Fishing Bridge for 10  years and was at the
Lower & Upper Ham in the late '80's.  I have known  Mary and Greg since
1987.

Greg called me from his home in Salt Lake City a couple of weeks ago to
tell me the news about Mary's cancer.  He asked her if she had any last
wishes, and of course her wish was to see Yellowstone, one more time.   Mary, who
lives in Big Sky still, myself, Greg, and Greg's family  made Mary's final
trip to Old Faithful yesterday on 03/12/10.

The park was very quiet without the noise from the snowmobiles and rubber
track snowcoaches that have been traveling on the pavement, and it was a
cool  but beautiful day. The entire day was a near private experience in the
park.

We had to make a quick trip because of Mary's lack of energy.  The  first
geyser we noticed was Grand's plume, which was ie  at 10:43. When I pointed
out the plume from the highway, Mary quickly  mentioned that Grand was her
favorite geyser, and I so wished I could get the  van to a place where we
could get a good view.

Although I got spoken to for driving the van on the snowmobile trail to the
 Visitor's Center Parking lot (I had missed the sign that said no wheeled
vehicles beyond this point by turning before the sign, to travel behind the
Snowlodge, so that I could miss the severe bumps on the front side).  I'm
glad I did it, because Mary was barely able to walk to Old Faithful and
back.  While waiting for Old Faithful, we had Riverside's plume at 11:20 ie.
Old Faithful had a beautiful  eruption at about 11:28 (I didn't look at my
watch).

On the way back, we had Great Fountain ie at 12:02.   Although Mary was
unable to walk the boardwalk at the Paintpots, she wanted her  nephews to see
the trail, as it was their first visit to Yellowstone.   While on the
boardwalk, we caught the start of Fountain at 12:07, just as we  were rounding the
corner at the fumerole.

We then hurried back to the van so that we could drive Mary to a point on
the highway where she could see Fountain. We had also viewed a couple of
bull elk, the first bulls I have seen in the Interior all winter.  It was
really a great day and I was glad to be able to help Mary with her final wish.
She really enjoyed her final day in the park, on a private trip with her
family  and friend (me).

I want to thank Brad Loomis at the Traveler's Service Center in West
Yellowstone for donating the van for us, as Yellowstone Tour Guides, which I
operate, does not have a winter permit. I of course donated  my wage.  I have
also got the thank the geysers, for putting on a  great show for Mary's last
trip.  5 major geysers (including Old Faithful)  is a great geyser day in
the winter, even if three of them were just steam  plumes in the distance.

Jim Holstein
Yellowstone Tour Guides

I will try to get Tad's email in the next couple of days when  I go down to
see her, in case there is any of you that remember  her.