[Geysers] Mickey Hot Springs-2009

STEPHEN P BEZORE sbezore at sbcglobal.net
Thu Mar 4 15:58:54 PST 2010

I had an opportunity to visit Mickey Hot Springs last June.  When my friend and I arrived at the site, there was a large steam cloud in the direction of the geyser and we rushed down to see what was happening.  I quickly regretted not packing the Transactions article by Jeff Cross.  We spent some time staring at this "pathetic little hole" trying to convince ourselves that this was the location of the geyser we watched nine years earlier.  The steam cloud originated from two sources in and next to the nearby large hot spring.

I took some pictures to document what I saw with the intent of posting them to the List Server.  Unfortunately, when I got home, inserting the flash card into the card reader caused my computer to crash and die.  This was the beginning of a series of computer issues and the pictures became low priority and then forgotten.

I've attached four photos.  The first (mickey) is a view across the large hot spring (#20 in Jeff's paper) with locations of the other three are labeled a,b,and c.  Mickeya is the geyser.  There was a small amount of boiling water in the deepest hole below the green slime.  There was no evidence of the runoff channel that led from geyser.  In short the geyser was dormant.  Mickeyb is the northwest end of the smaller fracture in hot spring #20.  Water boiled vigorously out of the fracture.  Sediment is washed away exposing the fracture clearly.  There was a significant amount of dead grass on the northeast side.  I believe this represents an increase in hot water flow from this location.  Mickeyc is a new spring.  Roots and green grass hang down from the sides of the spring and outflow channel.  Note that the sides, in soil, are undercut. Water boiled very vigorously with occasional splashes tossing water out onto the surrounding ground.

I will leave any discussion of the implications of what I observed to those who are more familiar with the history of Mickey Hot Springs.

Steve