[Geysers] Fan and Mortar, etc.

jimscheir at aol.com jimscheir at aol.com
Wed Jun 23 15:41:50 PDT 2010

The last few days have been very interesting in the geyser basin so I am passing along details on some of the happenings.

1. Fan and Mortar appears to have no fear of the dark. It erupted overnight last night and no one seems to have seen it. It was doing an Angle marathon yesterday and was still being observed until at least 2000. The marker was washed when I arrived at 0530 and all was quiet. Overnight rain made everything very wet so I cannot estimate a time. The interval was around 5 days.

2. Grotto was ie at 0523 and seen to end at 0636. At 1002 Grotto started and almost immediately became a Rocket Major (also 1002) with  d = 7 minutes. Grotto then ended at 1128.

3. Daisy decided to suddenly throw in an interval of 3:36 today instead of its recent typical 2:00 to 2:45. There was no wind.

4. On 6/19 Castle had a minor seen at 1102, then no further eruption either seen by observers or on the electronic download until it was seen at 0458 ie on 6/20 (electronic start time 0450), making a minor to major interval of close to 18 hours.

5. Oblong intervals are getting shorter. The last few days many have been not only under 4 hours or under 3.5 hours but also several were under 3 hours and one came in at about 2:15.

6. Grand has had some long intervals. On 6/21 Grand at 1036 was followed by Grand at E2253 for an interval of 12:17. On 6/22 Grand at 0807 was followed by Grand at 1910 for an interval of 11:03. In both cases observers reported long, long Rifts. Today I saw Grand at 0507 ie from the road as I was driving in, so Grand was predicted between 1145 and 1545.  Rift was called at 1139 ie. I arrived at Grand just after a Turban at 1156. The next Turban was at 1234, a 38 minute interval and the pool was mediocre at best. I had just written down 1234 and placed a D0 above it when to my surprise 2 huge bubbles came up and Grand erupted at 1234 as a D0T2Q, 11.5 minutes. Rift continued until 1354 for a duration of at least 2:15.