[Geysers] Fan & Mortar 0655 on July 19

Tara Cross fanandmortar at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 21 23:40:13 PDT 2010

>F&M surprised one and all at 0655 this
morning.  Tara was at Grotto Ftn., so was very nearby.  Other gazers
at Artemesia got there, but others were in the Lower Parking Lot, >and with no
radio warning, didn't get there to see much.  I'm sure Tara will report
more fully soon.

Unfortunately, I don't have much to add regarding the 7/19/10 Fan & Mortar eruption.  When I realized that no one had checked on Fan & Mortar since Chris Daubert went by on his way to Artemisia at first light, I quickly got up and prepared to go down, taking a few extra moments to grab enough food and gear for a full day at the rockpile.  Kitt Barger had gone to Artemisia via Biscuit Basin, and while waiting there she heard a sound and went to the top of the hill to investigate.  The sound turned out to be the river, but she spotted steam in the direction of Fan & Mortar and called the eruption near start when she saw Main Vent take off.  I was passing Grotto Fountain on my bike when I heard the call.  When I arrived at F&M, Mortar had already finished its initial surge and Fan was just taking off to full height.  Shortly thereafter Mortar started up again.  Chris and then Kitt appeared from the Artemisia trail and the three of us enjoyed morning rainbows.

It was encouraging to get a shorter interval (4 1/4 days) after the recent 6+ day intervals.

--Tara Cross
fanandmortar at hotmail.com