[Geysers] Waimangu Geyser and Alfred Warbrick

Ron Keam r.keam at auckland.ac.nz
Fri Jan 15 20:23:57 PST 2010

Alfred Warbrick and H.E. Buckeridge's exploit on Waimangu geyser is
of almost legendary character and we are indebted to James Cowan for
seeking out and publishing Warbrick's own account of the event and
its background.  Some six years ago I attended a commemorative
gathering on the Waimangu Geyser site fior the centenary of the
subsequent tragedy when Joseph Warbrick and the three other tourists
were killed by the geyser.

Alfred Warbrick's reminiscences of this and the many other exciting
events of his life in the New Zealand thermal region were eventually
published in the book "Adventures in Geyserland' in 1934.  Although
Warbrick is given as the author it was in fact Cowan who "ghost"
wrote it.  Other details of Warbrick's involvement with the thermal
region including his role in the Tarawera eruption events are
included in my own publications.

A couple of minor corrections are called for in the "New Zealand
Railways Magazine" article:  (1) The illustration showing the lakelet
occupying the site of Frying Pan Flat in the foreground, while
certainly looking towards the site of Waimangu Geyser, does not show
that site in any distinguishable way, and (2) the date of 1915 for a
subsequent fatal eruption that killed the wife and child of E.C.
McCormack, a later guide, is incorrect because that explosion was on
1 April 1917.

Relatively recently here have been a few more minor hydrothermal
outbreaks at Waimangu, the most memorable being in 1973 and 1981.
Fortunately noone was around when they took place.  Monitoring
instruments captured the 1973 event and a small study of this was
later published.

Ron Keam

--

Ron Keam