[Geysers] Little Cub and Lion (Stephens)

Lynn Stephens lstephens2006 at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 16 15:12:08 PST 2010

FOR THE PERSONAL USE OF THE READERS OF THIS LISTSERV.  THIS POST IS NOT TO BE REPRODUCED FOR ANY OTHER PURPOSES, INCLUDING PUBLICATION IN THE SPUT.

I don't know whether anyone else was wondering whether the shift to long series of Lion eruptions was accompanied by a return to the relationship between Little Cub and Lion initial eruptions that existed in the 1980s and early 1990s. I looked at the electronic data for October 15 through December 31, 2009.  The relationship hadn't resurfaced.  Lion initial eruptions were not any more likely to start near the start of an expected eruption of Little Cub than at any other time in Little Cub's interal.

I did notice that, at least for October 15 through December 31, Lion preferred to start a series on the "night shift" as shown in the table below.  Column 1 shows the hour the series started; column 2 show the number of eruptions; column shows the percent of eruptions that started in each hour, column 5 shows the difference between the actual percentage and an equal distribution of starts in each hour.  The eight-hour "night shift" from midnight to 7:59 am contained almost half of the initial eruptions--47.2%.  The 8 hour "day shift" from 8:00 am to 3:59pm contained only 16.7% of the intial eruptions.  And the 8 hour "swing shift" from 4:00 p.m. to midnight contained 36.1% of the eruptions.

Hour

Number

Percent
Equal
Difference

Initial

Started

0:00
0
0.0%
2.8%
-2.8%

1:00
3
8.3%
2.8%
5.6%

2:00
3
8.3%
2.8%
5.6%

3:00
2
5.6%
2.8%
2.8%

4:00
3
8.3%
2.8%
5.6%

5:00
3
8.3%
2.8%
5.6%

6:00
1
2.8%
2.8%
0.0%

7:00
2
5.6%
2.8%
2.8%

8:00
0
0.0%
2.8%
-2.8%
47.2%

9:00
1
2.8%
2.8%
0.0%

10:00
0
0.0%
2.8%
-2.8%

11:00
1
2.8%
2.8%
0.0%

12:00
1
2.8%
2.8%
0.0%

13:00
0
0.0%
2.8%
-2.8%

14:00
1
2.8%
2.8%
0.0%

15:00
2
5.6%
2.8%
2.8%

16:00
1
2.8%
2.8%
0.0%
16.7%

17:00
2
5.6%
2.8%
2.8%

18:00
2
5.6%
2.8%
2.8%

19:00
1
2.8%
2.8%
0.0%

20:00
1
2.8%
2.8%
0.0%

21:00
1
2.8%
2.8%
0.0%

22:00
2
5.6%
2.8%
2.8%

23:00
3
8.3%
2.8%
5.6%
36.1%

(Thank you to the NPS for providing the electronic monitors and to Ralph Taylor for analyziing the temperature data and posting the eruption times on the GOSA website.)

Lynn Stephens