[Geysers] Geyser report/ earthquake changes?

Seeyellowstone at aol.com Seeyellowstone at aol.com
Thu Feb 11 20:55:08 PST 2010

Hello everyone,

Here are some geyser times for 10/09/10:

Fountain:            09:55 ie
Depression:           11:11
Super Frying Pan: 13:34 ie, with an 8 min+ duration

I want to stress that I have not been in the Interior since early January,
as I'm making sure the guides get plenty of work during this very slow
winter.  The snowpack is still very low, especially south of Big Sky.  There are
 some changes I have noticed in the following basins:

Black Sand Basin:
There is a small 6" high geyser in the runoff channel of Spouter  Geyser.
I have seen steam in this location before, but never water coming  out.  It
is located about 40 meters downstream in Spouter's runoff channel,  about 20
meters before the channel reaches Iron Spring Creek. It was ie at 13:01
and lasted at least 10 minutes. When it quit, it went into a vigorous mini
steam phase.

Biscuit Basin:
Salt & Pepper's runoff channel is over twice as wide as it was before,  and
it appears it may have a third vent playing from time to time.  It is  also
cyclic now, as it was not erupting when I drove back by on my way  out.
Our guide Bill Hieselmann has reported it not erupting at least twice  in the
past week, both days he saw it stopped he also saw it erupting, as  we
travel by twice.

I believe Black Diamond may have erupted in the past three weeks.   there
are a couple of new rocks between Black Diamond and Black Opal Pool.   There
is a new runoff channel from Black Diamond that spills directly in to  Salt
& Pepper. There is some bacteria mat that has been disturbed below  Black
Opal Spring. Keep in mind I have not been in for 3 1/2 weeks, so it may  have
happened anytime.

Lower Geyser Basin:
At the north end of the Fountain Paint Pots, there are several small areas
collapsing in between the two remaining retaining walls left from the 59
earthquake.  The largest are of collapse is near the interpretive sign on
the west side of the paint pots.  The collapsing extends all of the way  along
the concrete wall to the tree on the northeast corner.  The moss is
dropping into these small areas that are collapsing.

Hopefully I will get in there a little more often.  Excuse any typos,  I
still have a splint on my finger.

Jim Holstein
Yellowstone Tour Guides