EXTERNAL: [Geysers] New OFVEC webcam

Whitledge, Vicki M. WHITLEVM at uwec.edu
Thu Aug 26 20:01:18 PDT 2010

There are many ways to have fun.

There is the fun to be had by going out & looking at Grand, trying to figure out when it lasted erupted by what it is doing in the morning when you don't know the overnight time.  I love being out in the basin.  Especially early in the season, early in the morning. Meeting other early risers, sharing data.  :)

There's also fun to be had playing around with (i.e. analyzing) a complete data set of eruptions...say a complete set of Turban eruptions.  It is really hard to get a complete extended set of Turban data without using electronics.  There's not that many times you can leave it and I need my sleep.  Playing around with incomplete sets of data is no where near as fun as playing with a complete set of data, so it is important.

Now I know, we won't likely be getting remote, real-time telemetry of Turban but I like data, the more the better.  There's nothing quite like a nice set-up spreadsheet just full of data...it's like a little playground.  I may not be the norm, but I'm not alone either.

What's really the best is relating what you see in person with what you see in the data.

It is all in the eye of the beholder.

Vicki Whitledge