[Geysers] 1986 Fantail video

JEFFREY CROSS jeff.cross at utah.edu
Wed Aug 25 20:11:02 PDT 2010

John Warnock asks an interesting question--what about the Pink Cone Group?  Many of the geysers there erupt to about 25 feet high.  Some other places where features share a common characteristic:

At Midway Geyser Basin, many vents are large and deep.

In the Dolina Geizerov, many geysers had brief eruptions on short intervals.

At Shoshone Geyser Basin, the largest geysers with a long history of activity (Union, Minute Man, Frill, and Knobby) erupt(ed) in series.

In the Lower Geyser Basin, nearly every geyser erupts from a pool, whereas in the Upper Geyser Basin, many geysers erupt from cones.

Someone once characterized geyser activity in the Kaleidoscope Group as "huge, brief, and angled."  Many of the geysers there also erupt in series.

I suspect that there are real reasons for these observations.  Large eruptions require deep plumbing systems, and long eruptions require large reservoirs.  One can extrapolate from this that, perhaps, all the reservoirs in the Pink Cone Group lie at the same depth beneath the surface; that the geysers in Dolina Geizerov all erupt from small rock-bound reservoirs while in Yellowstone, geysers erupt from large reservoirs in cemented glacial deposits and valley fill.  Perhaps, also, the hilly terrain in the Upper Geyser Basin resulted in the formation of cones, while the flat topography of the Lower Geyser Basin resulted in the formation of pools.  Perhaps the stratigraphy at Shoshone Geyser Basin and the Kaleidoscope Group favors plumbing systems that give eruptions in series.

Jeff Cross
jeff.cross at utah.edu