[Geysers] very brief report from Iceland

Ben Hoppe ben.hoppe at gmail.com
Tue Aug 17 15:39:31 PDT 2010

Hello all,

I was hoping to spend a little more than 12 minutes at Geysir and Strokkur
today (August 17), but due to people wanting to stay at Landmannalaugar, and
our bus not quite making it across the river at Landmannalaugar when we
tried to leave, our time at the small geyser field had to be cut short. I
was not able to hear about what Geysir was doing, but I got 2 closed
intervals of Strokkur. One of 6 minutes, and another of 4 minutes. The
eruption times that I observed were 1850, 1856, and 1900 (Western European
Standard Time). The 1850 and 1900 eruptions included a smaller second burst
from a low pool.

Also of note concerning the volcanoes, the local that has been with me for
the past few days said the scientists are considering officially calling an
end to the eruption of Eyjafjallajökull. We were able to see small bits of
steam rising from the crater as we have been driving in basically a full
circle around it the last couple days. The glacier that was on top of the
volcano is still black from the ash. Nearby glaciers, namely Solheimajökull
has mostly been returned to it's clear ice state following the recent rains
they've received on the island. This may not be news to anyone who's been
reading anything on Icelandic volcanoes, but from what I understand, the
locals are believing that eruptions of Hekla and Katla will take place
within the next 10 years, probably.

-Ben Hoppe

--
I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in
me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who