[Geysers] VC Logbook and Volunteers

Janet Johns pinkconemtgo at gmail.com
Sun Aug 8 18:01:09 PDT 2010

More than one person has "lost" a volunteer position in the past.  I assume that "loss" will continue as people in the VC and NPS change hands and volunteers lose or gain status.  Nothing new about that.    We worked with Rick  to establish the pattern used to predict Great Fountain, had a monitor on Grotto and developed a regression formula.  As for the logbook...as a  volunteer (now a recovering volunteer), I took times from others, entered times in the logbook, made the first electronic logbook, and transcripted Old Faithful times for the park geologist. The original idea to a VC list was to lessen mistakes in the log book.  I don't think it made any difference. One bizarre year the geyser gazers on the VC list used a colored pencil--I think green-- (anyone else remember that year?).  I'm pretty sure that the colored pencil year proved that the mistakes in the logbook came from the naturalists not the volunteers.  It might have only been around a month once that was realized.  It will change when someone decides it needs to change, asking for a official response will probably bring a response no one likes or wants.

Janet Johns