[Geysers] Fan and Mortar 7/23/10 Details

scott grisso postcard73 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 1 13:09:10 PDT 2010

This is my first post ever on the listserve, which I find fitting because it
was also the first event cycle I ever had the chance to call at Fan and
Mortar.  I've been intimidated to post on here in the past, but I am
relocating to Twin Falls this week.  Tara told me she wants me to start
posting on here because I should be in the park a lot more in the coming
years.

My notes for this eruption are not perfect.  A year ago at this time I could
not name the vents at Fan and Mortar with complete certainty.  I believe I
have spent around 100 hours watching Fan and Mortar in the last two summers,
so I am learning.  My notes will get better with time.  If there is
something I leave out here, let me know and I'll try to make sure I get it
next time.  Tara will probably have some details to add to my notes.

I arrived at Fan and Mortar shortly after 0400 to relieve Tara and Kitt.
Chris Daubert arrived shortly before the cycle started and helped me spot
the first water in Main Vent.

Fan and Mortar 7/23/10

0603  River Pause
0610  first splash in Main Vent
0616  splashing in Bottom Vent
0618  splashing in Lower Vent
0620  Bottom Vent begins full eruption
0702  River Vent on after 59 minute pause
0706  Gold Vent on
0710  Angle Vent on
0720  surge in Upper Mortar
0726  huge surge in Upper Mortar
0726  eruption starts as soon as surge in Upper Mortar ends, Upper Mortar
start

A couple points are worth noting.  First, there was never a lock.  Gold and
High Vents looked good prior to the eruption but never looked great.  The
surge from Upper Mortar at 0720 was probably 5-10 feet high.  I think the
surge at 0726 was 15-20 feet high.  The surge at 0726 died down, and Main
and East Vents both started to erupt less than five seconds after the final
surge in Upper Mortar.

The conditions were gorgeous: the sun had just come over the ridge and a
light breeze was blowing the steam towards the river.

Scott Grisso