[Geysers] Forward From Janet Chapple

Jeff Cross Jeff.Cross at wallawalla.edu
Mon Sep 28 23:03:21 PDT 2009

Mario Durrant and David Schwarz have both commented on the vandalized state of Union Geyser's central cone.  Per Rocco Paperiello's article in Transactions v. 3, William Sanborn discovered the vandalism on August 17, 1948.  His statement is quoted: "Inspection revealed that a 'mineral pick,' or some similar tool, had been used on the north-east side of the cone.  A hole over one foot in diameter had been 'hacked' into the cone, water filled the bottom of the opening coming from a vent inside the cone shell itself.  Marks of a four sided tool were plainly visible in the sinter bordering the hole, and the pieces so removed from the feature were scattered around the base of the cone."

The size of the break was measured by me this summer.  It is 40 inches across the base, 32 inches across the top, 27 inches up the left side and 33 inches up the right side.  As you can see from Mario's photograph, the cone is formed from a resistant nucleus and a resistant outer shell.  Weathering has occurred in erodible material between the nucleus and the shell, exposing both the inside and outside faces of the shell to the elements and, presumably, causing the rapid rate of weathering of the outer shell.  This process is probably responsible for the progression of the break from "over one foot in diameter" in 1948 to its present size of about three feet by two-and-a-half.

The break has enlarged steadily over the years.  Its progress can be measured via the YNP photo archive.  Earlier pictures show a conspicuously smaller hole.

I can think of one other cone that has weathered in this way: Grotto.

How many other geyserite cones contain erodible layers that are concealed beneath resistant geyserite?  One can imagine that if any such cone were breached, even with a small hole, it might cause the cone to disintegrate.

Jeff Cross
jeff.cross at wallawalla.edu