[Geysers] Geyser Report: West Thumb 9/8/09

Graham Meech meechg at verizon.net
Sat Sep 19 08:14:36 PDT 2009

I had a great trip to the park for 2 weeks around Labor Day.  Thanks to
everyone that has posted reports already and I will add a few comments now
that I have started to catch up at home.

Pat Snyder and I went to West Thumb on Sept 8th.  We only saw Occasional
erupt once and nothing else, not even Fishing Cone side vent! There was some
good news though as the water levels were up in some areas compared to last
September and January.   Lone Pine was empty when we arrived and Ralphs
logger shows that it has been a regular performer.

Twin - Last September it was boiling, January it was below overflow and
quiet.  This September it was boiling vigorously from the vent closest to
the overlook (left vent from the boardwalk).  The overflow was heavy and
running down the hill under the boardwalk and  inundating areas that I think
were dry September 2008.  Still no evidence of an eruption though.

Ledge Spring, Collapsing Pool and Surging Spring had much higher water
levels than last September.  Both Ledge Spring and Collapsing Pool were in
overflow, the first time I have seen that for quite a few years.  Sept 2008
they were all well below overflow while in January 2009 the water levels
were higher but still not in overflow.  All of them look hot and blue rather
than dirty brown like last September.  So there's hope for some activity in
this area.  The large spring next to Collapsing Pool was also very full and
hot which I don't think was the case before.  Conversely, Thumb Geyser was
flooded with dark brown cool water this year whereas last year it was having
small eruptions within the crater.

The lake water level was pretty high so Lakeshore was getting washed by
waves occasionally.   No indication that anything else was active.

Graham Meech