[Geysers] Geyser Report September 16

Lynn Stephens lstephens2006 at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 17 03:24:16 PDT 2009

Items from the OFVC logbook

Castle 9:00 minor, d ~ 3 min; 1442 major

Daisy  0654, 0929, 1146, 1402, 1605, 1900

Daisy 0201E, 0423E, 0651E

Fountain 11:03

Grand 0219E, 1150, 2008

Great Fountain overflow 1300 1418E

Riverside 913, 1501

Beehive 1323, Indic = 1311

Lone Star  0947 major, 1210 minor, 1239 major, 1835vr major

Plume 0616, 0813, 0912ie, 1120ie, 1219, 1320, 1912

Artemisia 1509ie

Aurum 0632, 1244ie

Grotto 0856, 1415

Grotto Fountain 0855, 1413

Lion 1137, 1309

Little Cub 1148ie

Oblong 0958ie, 1424ie, 1907

Rift 1224

Rocket major 1030ie

Atomizer minor 1259, d=30 sec

Dan and Stephanie Hatfield arrived the evening of September 15 and provided an addendum to the 9/15 logbook--Beehive at 2323ns.  Dan called today's (9/16) Indicator and then Beehive at an interval of exactly 14 hours.

This morning I was treated to the sight of the crescent moon with Venus near it.  An elk on Wylie Hill was bugling and his bugle had the full repertoire of tones necessary to attract the lady elk, starting with the low grunt, then rising through the scales to end in a high falsetto.  Later another bull was trying to imitate him, but could only manage part of the complete call.

At 0837 an osprey flew by overhead with a fish crying, "Look at me.  Look at me.  I've got one.  Breakfast is on the way."  We saw several other osprey throughout the day, but none of them proved to be the lucky omen.

Most of the gazers spent most of the day at Fan & Mortar since we're all paranoid about being too far away from it after the last two starts, so the logbook is rather bare for yesterday.

Maureen Edgerton provided the Fountain time and probably also provided information on Great Fountain's overflow.

Barbara L. went up to Artemisia/Atomizer for awhile and provided the Atomizer minor time, but none of us were willing to go back up there for either Artemisia or additional Atomizer minors.

Fan & Mortar showed it could have a real event's cycle this morning with Main Vent Splashing that started at 10:20, a River Vent Pause, two Bottom Vent eruptions, but water levels weren't exciting enough on the River Vent restart to cause anyone to jump up and start moving packs.  Angle was off most of the day, for most of the day the vents started in the proper order--River Vent, then Gold, then Angle, and Frying Pan was active on several of the cycles.  All for naught--when Keith and Lotus and I left about 1945 (leaving Steve B. and his friend Al as the last diehards), Fan & Mortar had not yet erupted.  About 1900 we watched two of the five mergansers that had been swimming up and floating down the river fly away and someone said, "See, even they are smart enough to leave."  We did have an interesting sunset with a raindow on the edge of a black and pink sunset cloud, some blue sky peeking out from between the black clouds and some gray and lilac to the east and yellow and pink to the west.

Now I'm off to check the rock pile.

LYnn Stephens