[Geysers] Forward From Janet Chapple

David Monteith dmonteit at comcast.net
Sun Sep 13 18:26:51 PDT 2009

                                  From:
        Janet Chapple
        <jochapple at earthlink.net>
                                    To:
        Geyser Observation Reports
        <geysers at lists.wallawalla.edu>
        Fwd: Giant's Cone pictures
                                  Date:
        Sun, 13 Sep 2009 09:37:00 -0700

        Hello gazers,

        I have often wondered about the evolution of the shape of
        Giant’s cone, and recently I’ve found two old photos to compare.
        The older one is from Sheridan, Lt. Col. M. V., "Journey through
        the YNP and Northwestern WY," 1883, and the other is a Haynes
        photo from Clyde Max Bauer’s 1937 book, "The Story of
        Yellowstone Geysers."

        What I’d like to know from gazers is whether someone could share
        with us a recent photo of the cone to compare with these, and if
        anyone knows whether the obvious changes have been made by the
        force of Giant’s eruptions or by vandals or perhaps by both.

        I apologize for the poor quality of the copy I made of the Bauer
        photo.

        Janet Chapple