[Geysers] Geyser Report, 9/8/2009

Lynn Stephens lstephens2006 at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 9 07:16:41 PDT 2009

Items from the OFVC logbook for September 8, 2009:

Castle  6:52 minor (d = 4 min), 10:39ie major

Daisy 6:37, 8:47, 10:58, 13:02, 15:03ie

Fountain  6:10ns, 12:23 (d=32), 18:25

Grand 5:39, 14:22 T2

Great Fountain 6:27 p = 7; 19:16 of = 77, p = 7

Riverside 8:55, 15:05ie

Beehive 14:41 (Indicator 14:25)

Lone Star 10:06

Plume 7:28, 8:20ie, 9:14, 12:09, 10:59, 11:53, 13:55, 15:02, 12:52

Artemisia 10:27 d = 22 min

Atomizer major 13:11

Aurum 16:31

Lion 15:59

Plate 6:50, 0:35ie, 14:10ie

Oblong 9:09ns, 13:15ie

Uncertain 10:33ie

Sputnik 13:54ie

Spasm 10:29, 11:35

Super Frying Pan 11:58ie

Morning's Thief 12:24, 12:26, 12:31

Till major 6:56ie, end 7:13; major 15:38

Flood 7:07ie

White Dome 5:57, 6:22; 16:06, 16:34, 17:01, 17:16, 17:43, 18:27, 19:34

UNNG in Tangled Creek 15:55; break , 19:11, 19:21, 19:35, 19:45

Pink Cone 5:21ie

Signs of fall keep appearing.  This morning I heard my first elk of the season trying to bugle.  He didn't sound like he had much experience producing a lady elk attracting sound.

At  Great Fountain the fuzzy caterpillars have exploded in number from the four or five I found Sunday 9/6 to dozens of them coating the willow branches on 9/8.  The ones I first spotted were black and yellow.  Now most, if not all, of them are black and orange.  A young boy, probably about 3 years old, was having his picture taken by his mother as the boy pointed at one of the caterpillars.  I couldn't understand their language, but the excited tone in his voice as he discussed the caterpillars with his parents told me he was delighted that he had found this strange creature, at his eye level, and just about the right size for a small person to appreciate.

The small bison herd in the Myriad Group this (9/9) morning were wearing a light covering of frost.

Another sign of fall--the bald eagle that has moved in to the Biscuit/Black Sand/Upper Basin area.  I've seen it chasing an osprey three times the past few days.  A vast number of gazers got to see the bald eagle in action Monday morning during the 10 am event cycle.  Over the past week or so, three sandhill cranes have been seen flying into the Upper Basin each morning and out in the evening.  On the evening of 9/8, Pat Snyder saw a flock of 7 or 8 sandhill cranes in flight, then watched them land near Hot Lake.

Crisp, cold nights, daytime weather with bright blue sky and sun, with brisk winds are supposed to continue for a few days.

Lynn Stephens