[Geysers] Fan & Mortar, 9/7/09 @ 1956

Tara Cross fanandmortar at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 7 23:40:31 PDT 2009

Fan & Mortar erupted at 1956 on 9/7/09 for an interval of 3d16h33m.  Events were called around 0600 and again around 1000, but no eruption ensued.  There was a mass exodus from the basin in the early afternoon.  The wind got stronger in the afternoon and then chilly, and most gazers headed in for the evening.  Lynn Stephens had just left F&M with Dean Lohrenz taking over observation duties when Dean was surprised to see that the water levels were looking very good in the vents, even though there had been no events of any kind and the cycle had started out looking very ordinary with mediocre water levels.  Dean called that water levels looked good 11 minutes after Gold, and then 14 minutes after Gold he said he would call it a lock.  Only Lynn and I were in a position to get to F&M in time for the start; several others arrived in time to see most of the eruption.

F&M pulled shenanigans like this back on July 30 as well.  Observers will have to pay attention to water levels more, looking to see if they are still good 10+ minutes into Gold.  We hope that things will return to normal for the next eruption.

--Tara Cross
fanandmortar at hotmail.com