[Geysers] Geyser report October 2

Lynn Stephens lstephens2006 at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 3 07:55:19 PDT 2009

Selected Items from the OFVC logbook

Castle 1249ie major

Daisy 0122E, 0356E, 0632E, 0906ie, 1126ie, 1353

Grand 0910 (2B), 1901 V2/T2*Q

Riverside 1111ie, 1729

Artemisia 1139ie

Aurum 1451, 1945

Beehive 1710 (Ind - 1657)

Grotto 1143, 1917

Grotto Fountain 1141ie, 1914

Lion 0936 initial, 1106ns

Oblong 1248ie, 1751ie

Plume 0805, 0905, 1315, 1415, 1510, 1610, 1710

Rocket major 1338

Great Fountain 0537 p = 8, 1714 p =6

Pink Cone 1207ie, still ie 1221

Fountain 1637 end ~ 1709

The boards were slick this morning.  Despite taking little tiny baby step, I still managed to land flat on my rear and back near Sawmill.

The morning eruption of Great Fountain was nearly a moonset eruption.  I arrived about 4:30 am, could see the ice skim on the outer pools in the moonlight, and watched the moon turn golden as it neared the western horizon.  It set at 0535, two minutes before Great Fountain had the 1-meter boil at 0537.  This evening's Great Fountain eruption had a strong sixth burst, so I moved the 10/3 morning prediction out to 0815 plus/minus two hours.  There was a small break in the horizon so there was a little bit of golden light backlighting the sixth burst, but I didn't set up the camera.  There were a few pink ruffles on the clouds as I drove away toward West Yellowstone.

Visitor comment of the day-A young boy to his mother, "Look at the island out there in the middle of the steam" in reference to Great Fountain's central crater.

Lynn Stephens