[Geysers] Conduit dimensions - sources?

Davis, Brian L. brdavis at iusb.edu
Thu Oct 1 17:55:01 PDT 2009

I've been reading through Rinehart's "Geyers and Geothermal Energy", and came across a rather unusual claim - that there was a thermister measurement in Old Faithful at a depth of 175 m (!!). I'm trying to get the original reference (a paper of Rinehart's from 1969), but it brought up a raft of other questions. Principally, what geysers and hot spring have been plumbed, and what is known about their physical dimensions of their conduit systems? What I've got so far:

Old Faithful: 22 m deep (or 175 m, if Rinehart is correct)
Great Geysir: Top basin 16 m wide by 1 m deep, conduit below 3 m wide and 20 m deep.
Lion: 24 m deep, with a 1" constriction at 10 m, water stands 5 m below the top.
Great Fountain: 12 m deep and roughly 4 m by 6 m, fed from a small vent at the bottom.
Sapphire Pool: about 10 m deep, diameter 8 m (pre-earthquake; source notes it's "bigger now", without specifics).
Steamboat: NE vent 8.5 m deep with water 3.4 m below sill in SW vent, SW vent 25.9 m deep ("the greatest depth we have attained in a natural Yellowstone vent").
Echinus: 3.4 m below the overflow level
Cinder Pool: 9 m in diameter, 18.3 m deep is interface, with molten sulfur below that to 21.3 m depth.
Grand Prismatic Spring: 75 m by 90 m, 49 m deep (but I don't have a primary source on this)
Excelsior: (nothing yet, just discharge statistics)

I also have one reference that mentions when talking about Cinder Pool "“…at least 13 m (44 ft) of overlying water is necessary to provide the pressure required for temperatures of 120 °C to exist in a saturated water-steam system; less than 10 % of the vents probed in Yellowstone Park have such free vertical clearance, and of these, only Cinder Pool and Steamboat Geyser are in Norris Basin…". That suggests that they had a volume of data large enough to talk about statistics... but I don't know where.

Does anyone have other data? Other primary sources to look at? Other interesting tidbits about directly measured or inferred conduit geometries (thermal, seismic, or chemical)?

--
Brian Davis