[Geysers] Photograph of Black Diamond eruption (Stephens)

Tara Cross fanandmortar at hotmail.com
Wed May 27 14:52:52 PDT 2009

I don't know if this would make any difference, but if anyone plans to write to the various news outlets that have printed erroneous information about Black Diamond, there was a short feature about its activity (and the other changes at Biscuit Basin) in T10:

"New Activity at Biscuit Basin 2006-2007" Compiled by Tara Cross with photos by Kendall Madsen and Pat Snyder and descriptions by Kendall Madsen, Mike Keller, and Grover Schrayer.  GOSA Transactions v. 10, p. 102-103.

The Keller and Schrayer accounts were of the same eruption that Paul Strasser describes below, which took place on July 29, 2006.  There was also a write-up in the Sput (v. 20 no. 4, Oct 2006) with more extensive descriptions by Kendall Madsen and Mike Keller, as well as information obtained by Hank Heasler when he examined the area at that time.  There were repeated attempts to put an electronic monitor on Black Diamond, but it kept tossing the device out of the pool.

Based on visual reports and physical evidence, Black Diamond has been having explosive eruptions of this nature at infrequent and highly erratic intervals since July 13, 2006.

--Tara Cross
fanandmortar at hotmail.com