[Geysers] Conewalkers

David Schwarz david.schwarz at gmail.com
Sat May 16 19:30:13 PDT 2009

   It never ceases to amaze me which stories will capture the attention of
the media and their public.  Every other Yellowstone story from the last few
years got maybe a fraction of the coverage this one did.  Some samples,
courtesy of Google News:

The LA Times: Putting the yellow in
Yellowstone<http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/greenspace/2009/05/putting-the-yellow-in-yellowstone.html>

The AP: 2 Yellowstone workers fired after watering
geyser<http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iNfrGcynNUWA7rGsrQD5hm33Pq5wD986AACO0>

KTAK (Riverton, WY): Old Faithful leak, but don't call
plumber<http://www.ktakradio.com/news/2009/may/15/old-faithful-leak-dont-call-plumber/>

ABC2 News (Baltimore, MD): Marking Their
Territory<http://www.abc2news.com/news/local/story/Marking-Their-Territory/iai6nscuFUCZD6iLUcxWeA.cspx>

Metro (UK): Geezers caught weeing into Old Faithful
geyser<http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/article.html?Pair_of_geezers_caught_weeing_into_Old_Faithful_geyser&in_article_id=663803&in_page_id=2>

The St. Petersburg Times (Florida): While geyser held it, they decided not
to <http://www.tampabay.com/SearchForwardServlet.do?articleId=1001168>

Grist Magazine: If it's Yellowstone, leave it
mellow-stone?<http://www.grist.org/article/2009-05-14-yellowstone-six/>

Backpacker Magazine: Don't Pee On A
Geyser<http://www.backpacker.com/arrest_pee_old_faithful_yellowstone_urine/blogs/daily_dirt/1027>

   GOSA directors, I hope you're taking notes.  If ever you find that you
need publicity for any reason, find a way to frame the message as an
invitation to off-color toilet humor.  The news
aggregators<http://www.fark.com/cgi/comments.pl?IDLink=4389744>,
headline writers, and newswriters of the world will take it from there.

David Schwarz