[Geysers] bear & wolf closures

Seeyellowstone at aol.com Seeyellowstone at aol.com
Sun May 10 05:43:58 PDT 2009

I should have read Bill's note about Biscuit being closed.  I would  like
to mention the wolves, much like the bears are running out of territory and
are beginning to live in and near developed areas.  There is a wolf den
near the horse corrals at Mammoth.  I have seen the wolves within 30 feet  of
the road several times throughout the winter and through the  present. These
wolves also brought down an elk in the Mammoth campground a  couple of week
ago.

Up here in Big Sky, we have had a pack of 4 wolves that have a home range
stretching from 6 miles south of Big Sky to 8 miles north, and 17 miles to
the  west, including the developed areas of the Canyon, Meadow Village,
Mountain  Village, Moonlight Basin, and the Madison Base Area.  These wolves
walked  calmly under the six-shooter lift, on presidents day weekend, with over
80  people riding over the top of them.  This pack has also brought down an
elk  across the river from the school, giving the kids a great educational
experience  about where they live.  I saw the wolves from the slopes of
Thunderwolf  lift and watched them (they were below the spur road) as I rode Lone
Moose  lift. These wolves have a stoplight in the middle of their
territory.

My point is, the wolves and the bears (which are also common in  Mammoth
and Big Sky) are learning to live with us, we need to learn to live with  them.

Jim
**************Recession-proof vacation ideas.  Find free things to do in
the U.S.