[Geysers] Upper Geyser Basin, 3/25/09

Karen Low yellowstonekaren at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 25 13:29:49 PDT 2009

I'd talked one of my co-workers in maintenance into coming out geyser
gazing, on the theory that you don't have to out run a bear, just the
person you are with. It was very windy, so we didn't stay out very
long.  Lots of bison, mostly along the river, and on the backside of
Geyser Hill.

Tardy was 1221 ns.  Churn was fairly high, and
spilling out some of its runoff channels.  Water level in Sawmill was
down about a foot.  Spasmodic was erupting from a high pool.  Penta
looked promising, with water fluctuating in the three front vents, but
it was way to windy to wait to see if it was going to do anything.
Grand was an empty pool.  So we headed up to Geyser Hill.  Old Faithful was in eruption at 1228.  Up on the hill, Plume erupted at 1237.  Beehive was doing some decent sized splashes, but back bubbler
 wasn't on.

The
snow was being blown sideways, so we headed to where my jeep was parked
back by Laurel.  White Geyser was erupting as we got over there.  To
stay out of the way of the plows, I headed down around by YPSS #1 to go
around the long way to the government area.  Little Brother erupted as
we got up to it!  So that was the most exciting part of this brief
expedition geyser gazing.

The bison carcass in the meadow by the
Overpass didn't seem to have any activity on it.  The carcass isn't
quite visible from the road, but yesterday, the guys saw dozens of
ravens in the area.

Karen Low