[Geysers] Trees, vistas, etc.

Eric Hatfield conanvandt at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 3 20:13:33 PST 2009

Just a quick note to show that the opposite opinion does exist on the geyser list.

I like it better with trees.  I'd prefer they not be cut down.

I could offer lots of philosophical opinions about how it should NOT be easier to see geysers, that you SHOULD have to walk to see them, that people's "pleasure" should have nothing to do with how the park is managed, but they're irrelevant.  I just like the way it looks with trees.

This doesn't mean that I agree with previous NPS decisions with regards to YNP, which I generally don't.  In particular, scarring up more sinter by moving boardwalks farther from features, or building anti-lawyer fences (to give kids something to climb on and provide lawyers an even easier avenue) are ridiculous.  I'd be tempted to have the NPS do absolutely nothing but police the hooligans, so we'd only have to deal with entropy and nature, which are at least somewhat predictable.

I like the trees.