[Geysers] Fan & Mortar, June 29, 2009 @ 0032

Tara Cross fanandmortar at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 30 22:52:13 PDT 2009

This will have to be an abbreviated report, as I am on a slow connection and don't have much time.

Thanks to everyone who helped cover shifts at F&M.  The only thing remotely resembling an event cycle prior to the eruption cycle was on June 27, when Main Vent had 2 splashes and some roaring prior to the start of River.  But the water levels never looked very encouraging.

As Lynn reported, Angle Vent did not stop for more than a few minutes at any point during the day on June 28.  I came down in the evening prepared to stay for a while into the night, but since Karen Low was watching F&M I stopped at Grotto Fountain to try to see it erupt.  After waiting in vain there for about an hour, Karen called me down to F&M because both Angle and River had been off for over 15 minutes.

I was interested in Angle being off, and in fact everything was quiet except for light huffing from Main Vent for about 45 minutes.  I thought we might see some good water levels after such a long off time, but apparently the long off time was mainly due to the 50 plus minutes River had been on previously and not because of increased energy in Main Vent.  So, after 3 garbage cycles, I thought I was in for a long night.

But then, out of nowhere, Main Vent started to roar loudly, and sent up a huge steam plume, easily visible in the moonlight.  I waited to confirm that there was actual splashing in Main Vent and then started making radio calls.  Events progressed as follows:

2323 Main Vent roar
2329 Main Vent splash
2335 River on
2339 River off (River pause)
2348 River on
2355 River off (double River pause)
0003 River on
0014 Gold on
0018 Angle on
0025 lock
0032 Fan & Mortar, d=35

Main Vent splashed enthusiastically until the final River on.  The cycle looked pretty much like any other event cycle I've seen in the past few years.  Bottom Vent had some heavy splashing but never managed a full eruption.

Hopefully the intervals will continue to shorten so there will be more opportunities for us--maybe even in daylight.

--Tara Cross
fanandmortar at hotmail.com